What is Corona Virus – All you need to know is here!
In December 2019, an outbreak of a Corona Virus (officially known as – COVID-19) in China killed over 7,164 people across the globe and infected over 182,550. The virus has spread to 157 countries. In India, 125 confirmed cases have been reported so far. A 68-year-old woman from Delhi and a 76-year-old man from Karnataka have been confirmed dead in the country from the virus.
|#COVID2019| – The awareness of Corona is as important as the precautions itself! – @MoHFW_INDIA @WHO @drharshvardhan#coronavirusindia #CoronavirusOutbreak #covidindia #COVID2019india #SocialDistanacing #workingfromhome#StaySafeStayHome #WearMasks #SwasthaBharat pic.twitter.com/DbJGGdvZid
— Param Homes (@param_homes) March 18, 2020
- Maharashtra: 38
- Kerala: 22
- Haryana:14 (all foreigners)
- Uttar Pradesh: 12 (including one foreigners)
- Karnataka: 7
- Rajasthan: 4 (including two foreigners)
- Ladakh: 3
- Jammu and Kashmir: 2
- Andhra Pradesh: 1
- Punjab: 1
- Tamil Nadu:1
What is Corona Virus?
According to the WHO, Corona are a family of viruses that cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).
These viruses were originally transmitted from animals to people. SARS, for instance, was transmitted from civet cats to humans while MERS moved to humans from a type of camel.
Several known Corona Virus are circulating in animals that have not yet infected humans.
The name Corona Virus comes from the Latin word corona, meaning crown or halo. Under an electron microscope, the looks like it is surrounded by a solar corona.
The novel Corona , identified by Chinese authorities on January 7 and since named SARS-CoV-2, is a new strain that had not been previously identified in humans. Little is known about it, although human-to-human transmission has been confirmed.
Symptoms of Corona Virus
Corona can make people sick, usually with a mild to moderate upper respiratory tract illness, similar to a common cold. Some of the symptoms are
- A general feeling of being unwell
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
In case someone is facing lower-respiratory tract illnesses, such as pneumonia or bronchitis, they must seek professional health immediately.
How contagious is Corona Virus?
- Corona Viruses are highly contagious. Coughing and sneezing without covering the mouth can spread the virus.
- Touching hands of a person that has the virus can pass the virus from one person to another
- Making contact with an object that has the virus and then touching your nose, eyes, or mouth can infect a person
- A Corona Virus may spread through contact with faces.
What are the precautions for Corona?
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unclean hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid public gatherings
CoronaVirus helpline number and e-mail id
Union Health Ministry has activated a toll-free 24×7 national helpline number, 1075, to address queries related to the infection. Anyone seeking information can also call on the number 011-23978046.